Saturday, March 25, 2006

Mexican Rice in the Kitchen

I intended that we'd wrap up our Mexican meal tonight but there have been so many e-mails on this that we'll have another recipe next week. If you've forgotten or new to this site, we've made vegetarian enchiladas, seven layer dip, and charro beans. Next week, we'll offer a soup because a lot of you have asked for one. But this week, we're going to go over Mexican Rice.



Mexican Rice Recipe
1 teaspoon of salt

2 small chopped chillies
1 clove chopped garlic
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups of water
1/2 cup of canned tomatoes or fresh tomato puree

1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 small chopped onion


In a skillet or pot heat the oil. Add rice and cook until golden. Add chopped garlic, onion and bell pepper. Stir frequently for 1 minute. Add the 2 cups of water/chicken broth and bring to boil. Add tomatoes and reduce to low heat. Cover the skillet or pot and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat by placing on another burner, uncover and let stand for five minutes. This will allow the rice to absorb the liquid.

Now Tuesday, as Ruth noted today, KPFA and KPFT will be covering the latest Senate hearings on the illegal NSA spying of American citizens. More Pacficia stations may cover it as well. Those two stations are confirmed. It will start in the morning and is expected to continue for half the day. On the east coast, it would begin airing at 9:30 a.m., I believe.

For laughs and strong commentary, read C.I.'s "NYT: SITE gives Dexy translations, he gives them play -- None dare call it reporting." I also suggest you check out Cedric's "THIS JUST IN! CONDI RICE HAS HER OWN SET OF RIDERS" and Wally's "THIS JUST IN! CONDI RICE HAS HER OWN SET OF RIDERS." Same title? It's a joint entry that they wrote together and posted at both of their sites. (I listed them alphabetically in case anyone's wondering about the order.) I also enjoyed my son Mike's "Iraq, Iraq, Iraq" and hearing about the speech he made. (Which I would have loved to have seen but he said he was nervous.) And thanks to Ava and C.I.'s "TV Review: Don't call her Elaine" I did check out The New Old Christine this week and it actually is a funny show. I'm not much for TV watching but I do intend to try to catch it Monday. (My husband enjoyed it even more than I did. I laughed throughout but I might have laughed more if I could have heard more -- my husband laughs loud.) And if, like me, you've often wondered what it's like to take part in those marathon, all night sessions at The Third Estate Sunday Review, please read "Ava's entry."

We had a house party tonight to discuss the war with our friends and I'm tired. My husband, daughter and my son (Mike) helped me clean up and all I want to do is go to sleep so I apologize for two weeks in a row of offering not much in the way of commentary.